Even though I posted yesterday, I still want to say sorry for being AWOL. I mean, I skipped a whole week of posting. Why? Because I didn’t feel motivated and didn’t have anything new to say. But this week I’m feeling back up to posting and I’m continuing with Top 5 Wednesday. This week’s topic is your top five science fiction and fantasy (or SFF) stories in other media (i.e. movies, television, videos games, etc.). This gives me a chance to talk about some shows and movies I don’t usually get to discuss, so I’m hype. My only restriction is that I can’t choose Star Wars because, I mean, obviously I love Star Wars. Anyway, let’s get started:
- The Good Place: Perhaps an unorthodox choice, I think it counts because it deals with the afterlife and the infinite possibilities of such a place. The whole world-after-death is governed by some sort of power or machination we can’t even begin to comprehend, and also there’s ethereal and demonic beings. But all that is just why I justify it as SFF— I’m choosing it because it’s such a genuinely fantastic show. I’ve grown to love these characters so much (and the overall plot is very character-driven) and their various relationships. It’s a sitcom, but also a very important show with an incredible thesis: people can change. I love this show so much and can’t wait for season three.
- Jessica Jones: I’ve never been a big fan of superhero media. I’m not even sure why, as it should be right up my alley. But I’ve just never been that into it. Besides a few comic books, this show is my one exception. I love the way it dealt with Jessica’s trauma and how it pitted brains against brawn in an interesting way. I haven’t seen the second season yet (mainly because I’m woefully behind on all the other Marvel shows), but I’m excited to. I can’t wait to see my snarky, wears-the-same-jeans-every-day hero again.
- From Dusk Till Dawn: Though I’ve never seen the original Tarantino film, I love the TV reboot. In fact, this show is the only modern paranormal show I actually like. The characters are antiheroes and villains, a mix of bank robbers and culebras (the Mexican, snake-like version of the vampire). It only has three seasons, but it’s so good. The series finale is one you’ll either love or hate, but the show as a whole is golden.
- Black Mirror: I’ve only seen about half of this show, but I really do love it. It’s so smart and really fucks with your head. Of course, my favorite episode is “San Junipero.” This show deserves all the points for that episode alone. I don’t know when I’ll finally get back to watching it, but this is still one show that deserves its hype.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: If Star Wars is a predictable choice, than this one is equally as predictable. And yet… I don’t really care. I love this show so much. Buffy’s journey is so important to me. Season 6 is dead to me, but everything else is perfection. This show still inspires me to this day.
What are some of your favorite non-book SFF media? Tell me about them in the comments!
4 thoughts on “Top 5 Wednesday: SFF in Other Media”
I love Black Mirror too! It’s so messed up and I enjoy how it forces to to think about technology in the way I did not consider before. 👌
I’ve been hearing so many praises for The Good Place lately so it’s near the top of my to-watch list. And a big yes to Black Mirror! My favourites are San Junipero (obviously) and the Christmas special, which had such a twisty plot.
Star Wars and Buffy made my list, too. And Jessica Jones! (Well, I just used Marvel in general, but JJ is what got me into the Marvel shows and now I’m binge watching the rest.) Great list 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love Black Mirror too even though I haven’t watched all of them! I have Dusk till Dawn on my watch list, I am so intrigued!