Hosted by ThoughtsOnTomes
Hola, Strangers! It’s Wednesday again, which means it’s time once more for Top 5 Wednesday! This week’s topic is your top five favorite minor characters. As stated in the topic, in regards to the difference between a side character or a minor character, a side character is someone like Ron Weasley or Hermione Granger, while a minor character is someone like Lavender Brown or Dean Thomas. Using this model, I have compiled my own list of my favorite minor characters. And now, in no particular order, here they are.
- Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter: Ginny is one of the baddest bitches I’ve ever read about. She’s witty and daring, always fighting for what she believes in. She heads up Dumbledore’s Army during the single most dangerous year in the history of Hogwarts and can do a mean Bat Bogey hex. She values people for who they are and what makes them different. She’s also a survivor of possession and very dark magic and has never let that irreparably damage her. I would genuinely give my life for her.
- Rahim al-Din Walad from The Wrath & the Dawn duology by Renee Ahdieh: Rahim is loyal to a fault. He is easily the best friend a person could have. He’s also incredibly funny and kind. When he cares for you, it is in a way that is deep and yet pure. He’s nowhere near a violent man, but he will fight if he needs to, especially to protect someone he loves. And he’s still alive. He is.
- Kamala from The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi: Kamala is an actual demon. Like, literally. And everything she says is batshit insane. It’s hilarious and amazing. I could read a whole book of her just reacting to stuff. And, as much as she’ll deny it, she has a sense of loyalty and respect for certain people (including Maya). If you become her ride-or-die, you’re honestly lucky.
- Zoya Nazyalensky from the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo: Listen, she’s a bitch, but she’s my bitch. And even though she can often be unpleasant, she also genuinely cares about the fate of the Grisha and always fights for what is right. Also, damn, to have her incredible level of self-esteem. Give her a girlfriend that is Genya.
- Hastra from the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab: Hastra is so pure. He’s a bit of an enigma because he’s such a gentle soul, but also dreamed of being a royal guard all his life. He’s always wanted an adventure. He was born to be a priest and possibly someday become the next Aven Essen. And he loves Kell so much. He deserved to live.
And there you have it. You could probably argue that a couple of these could be considered side characters (namely, Ginny and Rahim), but I think they qualify. I care so much for these characters and they deserve more appreciation. So, what minor characters do you love? Let me know in the comments!
See you next time, Strangers!