So, it’s been a while since I’ve done a good old-fashioned game tag. This one was created by BookTuber Jesse the Reader. It’s not unlike the RIP It or Ship It Tag, in which you put a bunch or character names (from all walks of book) in a hat, jar, or some other kind of container. Then, you pick out two names and decide whether or not you’d ship them together. In the Love Triangle Game, you pick out three names. The first name is your protagonist, the center of the love triangle. The second two names are the two characters in love with the protagonist. I thought this sounded like a lot of fun, so I thought I’d try my own hand at it (I’m also including Star Wars characters because it’s my blog and I can do what I want). So, let’s see my results, shall we?
- The first name I pulled out of my bag was Viktor Krum from Harry Potter by JK Rowling. And the next two names I pulled out, and thus the two people in love with Viktor, are Carswell Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and Barsalyya Shefali from Their Bright Ascendency by K. Arsenault Rivera. Ultimately, I think Viktor would choose Shefali. I think he would be irritated by Thorne and find him to be too much of a rogue and criminal. Shefali, on the other hand, is loyal. She also stands by her convictions and understands when the people who surround her may be wrong. I think he’d bring some fun into her life. I think they’d be happy together.
- All right, so the protagonist of this next imaginary love triangle is Abby Suso from the Creekwood series by Becky Albertalli. The two people in love with her are Mare of Mynaria from Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst and Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Ultimately, I think Abby would pick Mare. I think they’d get on better and that Abby wouldn’t like Finnick’s style of flirting. I could genuinely see her falling in love with Mare.
- The next protagonist is Nikolai Lantsov from the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. The two characters in love with him are Rielle Dardenne from Furyborn by Claire Legrand and Ze’ev “Wolf” Kesley from The Lunar Chronicles. I think Nikolai would pick Wolf. Ze’ev gets shit done, but is also a soft romantic. He is exactly who Nikolai needs by his side. Nikolai could be at risk of losing his crown with the ambitious Rielle by his side. Nikolai x Wolf for life!!!
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Kestrel from the Winner’s trilogy by Marie Rutkoski. The two characters in love with her are Qi’ra from Solo: A Star Wars Story and Meredith Dardenne from If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio. This one was tricky. Kestrel and Qi’ra are both clever, but I worry Qi’ra might turn on her or put her ambition before Kestrel. Meredith, on the other hand, would treat Kestrel right. She’d give Kestrel softness and a shoulder to cry on. But she also wouldn’t let her get away with not being honest. There’d be no miscommunication. She’d hold Kestrel accountable. I just… I think they’d be really great together.
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Nina Zenik from Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. The two characters in love with her are Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare and James Farrow from If We Were Villains. Easily Simon. Nina already has a lot in common with Isabelle (Simon’s canon love interest), so I imagine this relationship would work about the same. Nina needs someone who can be silly with her, but would also never judge her. In fact, he’d be in awe of her. I think they’d make a great couple. James gets too into his roles and doesn’t take a chance on what he wants. Simon is the obvious choice.
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Poe Dameron from Star Wars. The two characters in love with him are Lily Calloway from the Addicted/Calloway Sisters series by Krista & Becca Ritchie and Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I thought long and hard about this, but I think he’d pick Karou. She’s willing to fight for what’s right, and Poe needs someone to stand by his side. Lily is sweet, but I just can’t see her and Poe clicking long-term. Poe and Karou could save the entire galaxy themselves and still have time for romance.
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Lazlo Strange from Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. The two characters in love with him are Dimitri Belikov from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead and Gansey from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. Lazlo would absolutely pick Gansey. Both are total nerds who are obsessed with finding a legendary figure or town. Dimitri is… I don’t even like him. I’m not even sure why I put him in this. Lazlo and Gansey are a nerdy dream team.
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice (which I have not read, but I have seen the movie and the zombie version of the movie). The two characters in love with her are Sam Lloyd from The Diviners by Libba Bray and Lissa Dragomir from Vampire Academy. Elizabeth would totally pick Lissa. Lissa is an actual queen who fights against prejudice. Sam is a fast-talking con man who, even though he falls in love genuinely, would just seem phony to Elizabeth. Lissa, on the other hand, is very authentic. I could really see those two falling in love.
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Han Solo from Star Wars. The two characters in love with him are Julian Blackthorn from The Dark Artifices by Cassandra Clare and Holland Vosijk from Shades of Magic by V.E. Schwab. I don’t even really know why, but I think Han would pick Holland. Maybe it’s because they’re closer in age, but maybe it’s because both have shady pasts but ultimately try to do right and save the world/galaxy. I just don’t think Julian and Han would trust each other. Han and Holland would be a dark duo.
- The protagonist for this love triangle is Kell Maresh from Shades of Magic. The two characters in love with him are Henry Dubois IV from The Diviners and Celia St. James from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. In an alternate universe where Celia is not gay, Kell would pick her. Henry is charming, but a little too flashy for Kell. Celia is sweet and genuine. I just think they’d be really cute together.
What do you think of my answers? Do you agree? Try your own hand at this game! I’ve got a part two coming soon!